|Department:||Business & Strategy|
|Location:||Washington, DC or Remote|
The National Council for Behavioral Health (National Council) is the unifying voice of America’s community mental health and addictions treatment organizations. A not-for-profit 501(c)(3) association, the National Council for Behavioral Health’s mission is to advance our members’ ability to deliver integrated healthcare. Together with our 3,400 member organizations, we serve our nation’s most vulnerable citizens — more than 10 million adults and children living with mental illnesses and addiction disorders. We are committed to ensuring all Americans have access to comprehensive, high-quality care that affords every opportunity for recovery and full participation in community life.
The National Council is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and commit ourselves to creating an inclusive environment for everyone.
The Business & Strategy Department is newly formed out of the recognition that certain programmatic and business opportunities can be optimized when activated with an organizational, cross-departmental perspective. Department responsibilities range from overseeing a full continuum of relationship-to-business development; program design; advising other departments as they consider and implement new tactics for programs and operations; and managing a variety of internal and external special projects. By its very nature, this department is intended to be nimble, serve as a resource to others in support of collaboration and efficiency, and drive growth.
The Sales Director runs a new division of the department focused on developing and overseeing a scalable and repeatable consultative sales process to meet customer acquisition and sales targets. Working in tandem with the Vice President, Business & Strategy, this position is responsible for increasing inbound sales and initiating outbound sales for pre-existing National Council trainings and events including but not limited to: Mental Health First Aid; annual conference sponsorships and exhibit hall; and clinical and workforce trainings. In collaboration with marketing and program/product development staff, this position will be involved in early brainstorming for new products and direct the sales of these newly-created products in the pipeline. This is a new function of the organization and thus requires an individual who can build systems and relationships while conducting external sales activities.
A successful Director will bring the very best of their past experience in sales operations; collaborate with internal customers to develop and implement key growth sales strategies; and embrace the context, culture, and mission of the National Council. This position supervises Solutions Representatives, to be hired. We are looking for a mid-career leader who enjoys leading a team to achieve goals, brings high emotional intelligence to encounters with internal and external customers, and will passionately create structures and processes where there are none.
1) Departmental Activities – 80%
- Develop and oversee the Solutions Center while increasing inbound and outbound sales.
- Develop and meet sales targets in alignment with organizational needs and approved by the VP, Business & Strategy.
- Present the National Council’s product offerings in diverse capacities at events with current and prospective customers, while maintaining world class customer service as a face of the company.
- Analyze the business needs and interests of customers, including community behavioral health organizations; companies; community, state, and national foundations; county and state governments; public schools and universities; hospitals, health systems, and primary care.
- Utilize an external and internal consultative sales approach and model this method of sales in supervisees.
- Build and maintain relationships across departments and with organizational leadership to source and seek feedback on business/product ideas and outreach methods.
- Track reports on sales activity and metrics to fine-tune strategy and drive pricing using proficiency in Microsoft Dynamics.
- Build and maintain strong, long-lasting customer relationships to benefit sales and our understanding of gaps in our offerings.
- Supervise staff and in so doing, contributes to the National Council’s ‘Best Places to Work’ goal.
- Contributes to the creation of department infrastructure (e.g. workflows and other ways of doing day-to-day business).
2) Organizational Activities - (20%)
- Participates in department and all staff meetings
- Travels on behalf of the National Council as needed
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Good interpersonal skills and communication with all levels of management
- Proven ability to drive the sales process from plan to close
- Proficiency in learning diverse product lines
- Proven ability to articulate the distinct aspects of products and services
- Proven ability to position products against competitors
- Demonstrable experience as head of sales, developing client-focused, differentiated and achievable solutions
- Excellent listening, negotiation and presentation skills
- A driving force who manages toward clarity and solutions
- able to work effectively under pressure to meet tight deadlines and goals
- A consummate team player with a flexible and creative approach
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to the National Council’s mission
- Strict adherence to company policies and style
- 7-9 years’ experience in B2B sales required
- At least 2-3 years’ experience as a senior manager/sales director overseeing other sales staff required
- Healthcare sales, ideally with mental health or substance use products, strongly preferred
- B.A./B.S. in related discipline
- Problem Solving
- Analytical Thinking
- Results Oriented
National Council for Behavioral Health uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please contact the Department of Homeland Security at 888-897-7781 or by visiting www.dhs.gov/everify
Labor Law Posters for Remote Staff:
Labor Law Posters
The EEO is the Law poster is current. This is the supplement. EEO is the Law Supplement